Thursday, June 14, 2012

as we walk, into the wild......

Through all of our tireless preparation and sleepless nights, we head off into the great northern cascades tomorrow.  The snow this year has been slightly above average, but more importantly the spring has been cold and wet so the resulting conditions are not the warm inviting snowfields of most years at this time.  Instead, Hart's Pass (the northern-most road that crosses the PCT) is snowed in with 60 inches of snowpack still on the road.  The temperature has stayed unseasonably cold so snow is actually still falling, which is a totally different beast from the lovely hard pack of spring.  But, if we wait for the snow to melt, it would be near impossible to make it south through the high sierras in time to beat the coming snow in the fall... so onward we go.  We are literally taking a water taxi on Ross Lake north to near the Canadian border and hiking over 20 miles east up into the heart of the  Northern Cascades to reach the northern terminus of the PCT.  We will be carrying a full 8 days of food and praying to the weather gods we don't get hit by a storm.  Many of the exposed high elevation traverses will be on inclines of 30 degrees or more.  An ice axe, and knowing how to use it, is a necessity.  We are starting with one of the most remote and technically challenging parts of the entire trail.  Roxi and I are very much looking forward to our next resupply point in Stehekin, WA when the most difficult and nerve-wracking part is over, at least for the short term. 
Happy Trails!!!!
Laura & Roxi

8 comments:

  1. WOW is all I can say... WOW! Thank you again for what you are doing. Stay safe! We look forward to the next blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, what a way to start your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes....stay safe & warm guys!!!! What y'all are doing is so very AWSOME! I don't speak for everyone in Houma, but thank you! At least from all the animals......THANK YOU!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a beginner hiker and am reading that book Wild by a woman who hiked the PCT. I found your blog when I Googled for more information. I look forward to following your blog and wish you and Roxi all the luck in the world. I'll also make a donation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! any donation is greatly appreciated and will help us in our mission! Good luck on your future hiking!

      Delete
  5. Laura (and Roxi),

    I co-edited a two-volume set of stories about the Pacific Crest Trail (The Pacific Crest Trailside Reader) that was published by The Mountaineers Books this last fall. I maintain a companion website (www.pcttrailsidereader.com) where I post new stories and photos from the PCT by people, like yourself, who are out there hiking now. I'm attracted by your story for several reasons -- your hiking companion, the fact that you are starting from the north and heading south, and based on your first entries, your ability to write. I hope that you might send me a story or two (and/or a photo or two) along the way. I can also plug your fundraising mission. You can reach me at hughes@humboldt.edu or pcttrailsidereader@gmail.com

    Rees Hughes

    P.S. One of the staff at The Mountaineers Books alerted me to your blog . . . and encouraged me to contact you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow! thanks, I don't believe anyone has ever complemented me on my writing before, lol. During the trip your best bet for stories and pics are on this blog. If you would like something more detailed by email I may not have time during the trip as internet is scarce but I can certainly try! Thanks for your interest!

      Delete
  6. Hi Rees! Thank you for checking out Laura's blog. We are so excited here in Louisiana that Laura is doing this. I know she would be thrilled to contact you once she has a moment. We are patiently waiting for her next blog!

    ReplyDelete