Saturday, August 11, 2012

sad day in paradise

We arrived a week ago here in Ashland, OR.  What I haven't mentioned is that Roxi went to the vet the moment we got into town.  She had been having a fabulous time, truly a Rockstar.  I first suspected something wrong a week before, her feet were sore and I was guessing it was the rocks we were hiking on, despite her pads looking great.  I lightened her pack and gave her some anti-inflammatory meds to help her feel better but the limping and general soreness continued.  I carried her pack the rest of the week and she continued to be excited about hiking but she was not improving, in fact her left elbow and right knee were a little swollen the day we hitched into Ashland.  She tested positive for Borrialia burgdorferi, LYMES DISEASE.  The rest of her bloodwork was normal, thankfully, and she has been on meds and resting here in town.  It took her 4 days to start feeling like herself again but she is still not back to the Rockstar that she needs to be for the PCT.  She will be on antibiotics for at least a month and her knee and elbow are still swollen.  The only decision to be made is obvious, it is time for us to go home.  Life catches up with us all and Roxi is in no condition to be hiking one of the most physically demanding trails in the US.

That's life, it is a culmination of the decisions we make and the outcome that follows.  I will never regret bringing Roxi, we are a team, she is my co-pilot.  She is a decision I made 6 years ago and our journey has been simply incredible.  This adventure of hiking the PCT was a monumental undertaking.  I understood Roxi is not the pup she used to be when we did the Appalachian Trail, she absolutely thrived on that trail, truly one of the only moments I have seen her insane energy in a state of fulfillment.  But even at her age there was no reason not to try.  She is a cancer survivor with a big heart and a passion for long, hard hikes.  Truth is, she could have gotten sick the first day, or even the last.  Heck, with life's uncertainties any number of accidents could have happened to either of us every single day, we have certainly been in some precarious situations.  There are no guarantees and we have been so incredibly blessed to have the support of so many good friends that made this trip possible.

One of the biggest life lessons that a thru-hiker learns is that it is about the journey, not the destination.  This trip is not a failure, not even close.  We took in over 600 miles in the beautiful Cascade mountains and it has wet my appetite for doing the entire trail when the time is right, the trail will always be here.  I took almost a thousand pictures and have many incredible stories from beyond the trailhead, it has been worth every moment.

With heavy hearts, we are going home.

Peace and Love,
Beads & Roxtar

10 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear you guys can't make the whole trip, but I agree with you. This journey is not a failure! You guys are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Beads and Roxtar,

    This is not the news I expected to hear. How am I going to pay you ladies back for the sunglasses and hitch into Sisters? Get well Roxtar your a champion trekker. And your not-so-bad either Beads. See ya next year?!?


    southbound and trucking
    CrAzYClOuD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey chico!!!! already planning for my hike next year, give me a shout cuz I lost your number, talags@gmail.com. need a ride to a certain dusty spot in the desert ;-)

      Delete
  3. Hey Laura, Sorry to hear. I hope Roxi heals up well, Lyme is nasty. I look forward to seeing the photos, have a safe trip back. I am sure you'll be back out on the PCT again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Laura and Roxi. {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear - my mother Leslie had sent me your plans and I've been following your blog. Sure hope Roxi makes a full recovery and you guys find more trails soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura - My daughter just alerted me to your blog. We've got a houseful of kids and guests and I had not kept up over the past 8 days. I am so very, very sorry. Boy, do I admire your attitude and outlook! Give Roxie some special love and attention from David and me.

    We've signed a lease in Portland (countryside really)and plan to have the moving van arrive Sept. 21 (they can take 7 days longer). We would love to have you visit any time you are able. Keep in touch on how you are both doing and where you go next. Love, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about Roxie. Glad you made it as far as you did. I really wondered how you've been doing since meeting you in Stehekin back in June. There will be another time I hope for you to complete your goal. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Liposomal Vit C (in additional to special herbs) is also what is used to treat Lymes, by Dr Klinghardt (900 cases treated & cured)."

    http://www.naturalnews.com/034591_vitamin_C_mega-dose_healing.html

    http://snipurl.com/255oizn

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just started following your journey, I am sorry you did not make it the whole way! Maybe some day you can try again. Best wishes and love from the trail.

    ReplyDelete