Friday, April 13, 2012

Beginnings of something GREAT!


Greetings! My name is Laura and I’m hiking the Pacific Crest Trail with my rescue dog Roxi as a fundraiser for the Terrebonne Parish Animal Shelter in Louisiana. I am a recent graduate of Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine, hailing from a small town in Northeast Pennsylvania. I grew up volunteering at the animal shelter and have always been involved in animal rescue and rehabilitation wherever my adventures take me. Even during my time in Baton Rouge, Louisiana I have assisted in multiple placements and transported over a dozen dogs up to PA where they are eagerly adopted. I am very exciting about turning my soul-searching journey into a positive impact for the small town of Houma, LA. This trip is my way of making a difference in this amazing place. Every animal rescue in Louisiana struggles to do the best they can with minimal resources. I was blown away with the knowledge and passion of the people at the Terrebonne Parish Shelter and I could not be more excited to be able to help them achieve their goals. Houma is just one small community in an area of the country that has a HUGE pet overpopulation problem, one of the biggest in the US. I know TPAS will be an invaluable asset for years to come in their tireless efforts for the homeless animals in their little corner of the world.

The Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) is a 2,650-mile national scenic trail that runs from Canada to Mexico through Washington, Oregon, and California. Zigzagging its way through six out of seven of North America’s ecozones, the PCT boasts the greatest elevation changes of any of America’s National Scenic Trails. It will take us 5-6 months to traverse through alpine mountains, rainforests in the Pacific Northwest, old-growth forests, scorching desert valleys in Southern California, and a diversity of extremes. This trip is truly a massive undertaking and an epic adventure!!

My hiking companion is a rescue from my local shelter in PA and we completed the Appalachian Trail in 2007. Roxi is a truly amazing partner and I am incredibly lucky to be able to share this adventure with her. June 15th marks our first day on the trail starting in Canada and we will be making out way to Mexico through some of the most remote and wild places in the US. During our journey, I will be posting an online journal so everyone can have a chance to follow this awesome adventure. After the trip, everyone is invited to an evening of amazing photos and stories from the trail. These will be hosted in Honesdale, PA, Baton Rouge, LA, and Houma, LA in early December.

Roxi and I invite you to join us our adventure and make a big difference for the homeless animals of Louisiana. Of course any donation is greatly appreciated, no matter how small. Please consider helping make this the biggest fundraiser EVER for TPAS. If we all do a little to make this world a better place, we can accomplish big things together!!! Happy Trails!!! Laura & Roxi


Happy Trails!!!

Laura & Roxi

No comments:

Post a Comment