Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Roxi's Story

Roxi's story begins in the backwoods of Pennsylvania. I first met her in the summer of 2006 at the Dessin Animal Shelter in Honesdale, PA. She was scared, shaking, underweight, and the most beautiful Shepherd I'd ever seen. She had been relinquished to the shelter at 2.5 years old because she was "too much to handle". Spending a short time with her it became abundantly clear that she needed a job, a BIG job. She had an overwhelming drive.... in every direction. This is a dog that would thrive as a police dog or search-rescue dog, lying on the couch all day is just not her style. And so I adopted her and she became my new project, and best friend. Through the summer and fall we worked hard everyday and she soon earned her Canine Good Citizen title as well as mastering basic obedience and off-leash work. She was my constant companion and we became a team, and slowly, the same incredible energy that landed her in the shelter helped create the most driven and magnificent dog I've ever worked with.
We had a goal, and a deadline. In March of 2007 we embarked on an epic adventure and it was my job to get her ready. We thru-hike the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine as a fundraiser for the very shelter that brought such a beautiful soul into my life. It was exactly what the doctor ordered and Roxi met and surpassed every challenge we faced while on the trail. She didn't just survive, she thrived where many other traildogs were forced to go home. You can still check out our journey at www.traildogs.blogspot.com Between then and now we have lived on St Kitts in the Caribbean while I was attending vet school. Every day was filled with running on the beach and hiking in the rainforest. But all good things must come to an end and while I finish up my clinical year of vet school here at LSU we are planning for our next big adventure. Graduation is coming fast and before we know it we will be in the remote Northern Cascades in Canada heading south, thru-hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. We are so excited to be able to turn this soul searching journey into a very real benefit for the homeless pets of Louisiana. Roxi's story is a perfect example of why a shelter is so much more than a building with cages. An animal shelter is an active part of the community and an invaluble resource for helping animals find loving homes where they can thrive. Different dogs have different needs and not every home is a good fit. Roxi wasn't cut out for the couch, but she is certainly the prefect traildog!!!

1 comment:

  1. You are soooooooooooooo right ! She is beautiful inside and out. A companion like this is one in a lifetime. I rescued mine in the snowbanks of northern Idaho. She was my solace in many a storm and constant partner in life. She was fearless yet gentle. I wish both of you the best of luck and will donate to theshelter in my hometown of Houma,La.he.

    ReplyDelete